You can grow your own food. We can help.

Sunshine Organic Community Garden

The Sunshine Organic Community Garden is composed of 30 raised bed gardens, each about 100 square feet in size. This garden has three overarching goals: promote sustainable and organic gardening, combat diet-related diseases among low-income residents and to promote two-way integration between the immigrant and native community in Jupiter, Florida. 92% of our clients are indigenous mayan immigrants from Guatemala and Southern Mexico. The other 8% are other Jupiter residents in need of work or food. Our labor statistics show that our clients earn an average of $4,500 annually, well below the poverty line. 

Twenty out of the thirty raised bed gardens are reserved for low-income individuals and families to grow and harvest fresh fruits and vegetables to supplement their diets. The other 10 gardens are open to the rest of the community.In addition to the raised bed gardens we also have a small orchard of barbados cherries, papaya, bananas, plantains, passionfruit vines, and peaches of which all gardeners will share the harvests.All of our garden plots are rented and we have a 30 person waiting list.

We want the garden to have a wide spanning range of beneficiaries thus 10% of each bed, about 10 square feet, is a donation section. All harvests from this section of a garden will be donated to El Sol's daily hot lunch kitchen program and the Jupiter Food Pantry to ensure that the food assistance is available to all those in need. The other 90% of each garden's harvest will be brought home by the gardeners to eat at home. To aid in this being most beneficial, the Garden Coordinator is offering bi-weekly nutritional/cooking and horticultural workshops which are open to the community.

Where it's at:

106 Military Trail
Jupiter, FL 33458
United States

Garden type:

food bank garden

Garden size (in square feet):

10500

Garden beneficiaries:

food insecure people and immigrants

Number of people reached:

151

What this project needs:

funds
seedlings
expert technical assistance
volunteer labor
fruit trees
gardening books
soil
compost
mulch
lumber
watering hose
irrigation system
garden cart
compost bin
trellises
outdoor oven

Project leaders:

Jocelyn Skolnik
Jocelyn Skolnik

About us:

KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.  

Join our mailing list:

 

Connect with us:

Contact us:

Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA
info@kgi.org
(207) 956-0606