Raw Cabbage Salad
One drawback to serving cabbage raw is that it can be too crunchy for some people’s tastes. This simple preparation addresses that by instructing the cook to salt the cabbage first and let it sit awhile before adding dressing.
- 1/4 head white cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/4 small head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- Salt as needed
- Olive oil to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Vinegar or lemon juice to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Combine shredded cabbages and carrots in a colander.
- Toss with at least 1 tablespoon salt so that leaves exude moisture within 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let sit an hour or two, pressing out moisture with your hands. Taste the mixture. If it’s too salty for your liking, rinse and spin dry.
- Toss with oil, pepper and either vinegar or lemon juice. Garnish with parsley.
KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.
Join our mailing list:
Connect with us:
Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA