Simple home made marinara sauce. The applications are endless. I can't imagine having too many canned tomatoes, but this would be an excellent use for them if you did. If you would like more photo detail, I've got more on my blog. Happy eating.
- 1-2 pounds of tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 TBSP chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 TBSP olive oil in medium saucepan and add onions, cooking until soft but not brown
- Add bay and thyme sprig. Chop tomatoes and simmer gently over low heat for about an hour or until sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
- Remove bay and thyme sprig
- Add chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sauce can be pureed or strained if wished or left chunky.
KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.
Join our mailing list:
Connect with us:
Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA