Grilled Potatoes and Zucchini with Basil Vinaigrette
May all be fed.
May all be healed.
May all be loved.
We grow lots of basil indoors under lights – we now have thirty-six 2” pots ready to to be planted out but it is still too early and too risky. Besides they like to be warm; it’s better to wait until we are sure we can accommodate their needs. As we wait, we harvest the tops of the plants, giving us fuller and more robust plants . . . and great harvests of fresh basil while we wait.
In an earlier post, Roger Doiron offered a simple recipe for Roasted Potatoes with Basil Vinaigrette. Take Roger’s basic idea and grill rather than oven-roast the potatoes and add zucchini to the mix. We steam the potatoes for 10 minutes before grilling.
As you can see from the photo, we use lots of basil.
- 1 – 1 ½ lbs. potatoes, Yukon Gold or something similar (King Harry?), cut in half lengthwise.
- 2-3 small zucchini sliced in half lengthwise
- Olive oil
- Vinegar of your choice
- Basil, fresh, a nice handful, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the potatoes for 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are steaming and the grill is heating up, pour 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl.
- After 10 minutes, remove the potatoes from the steamer and let them set in a colander for a couple of minutes, or until the exterior of the potatoes is relatively dry.
- Toss the zucchini and potatoes in the olive oil.
- Grill the potatoes and zucchini for about 15 minutes, turning when each side is nice and brown. We use a grilling basket - one flip does it.
- Remove them from the grill and put them back in the bowl along with a drizzle of vinegar, more olive oil, and the minced basil to make a simple vinaigrette.
- Season to taste.
KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.
Join our mailing list:
Connect with us:
Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA