Growing Health Food and Strong Community in Phillips Neighborhood
A "Sow Forward" grant will support Growing Healthy Food and Strong Community, food justice work that builds and expands on Hope Community’s 36-year history of working with people in the Phillips community of South Minneapolis for a healthier, stronger neighborhood.
- The Story: Hope's program work with food began in 2009 when we hosted a gathering of 40 residents and asked: If you could do anything with your neighbors to build community, what would it be? People in the community are worried about their health and the health of their children. They know how critical providing healthy food is, and they want to do something about that, but don’t know how.
- Year-round Programming: Hands-on learning opportunities, community gardening, container gardening for apartment dwellers, cooking classes led by community members, gatherings and celebrations of food and seasons, movies/discussions, and internship opportunities for community members.
- Growing Leadership: Leader development and building community capacity are themes throughout the work; learning and improving health are important outcomes. Diverse, low-income people from the community participate in the planning, and many take on leadership roles and engage in deeper learning about food policy and its impact in this community.
- Strengthening and expanding neighborhood physical infrastructure for urban agriculture. Today, we are working with Hope’s two existing community gardens. Another 4,800 square foot urban agriculture space is set aside in the final phase of a major housing development on all four corners of a once abandoned intersection; construction begins in 2014.
- Partnerships: Many partnerships are moving this work forward including: the Land Stewardship Project, Permaculture Research Institute and University of Minnesota.
KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.
Join our mailing list:
Connect with us:
Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA