Greater Franklin County Sows it Forward
Garden Project and Goals
Healthy Community Coalition of Greater Franklin County (HCC) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and an independent affiliate of Franklin Community Health Network (FCHN), serving Greater Franklin County (GFC), Maine. Through this project, HCC will provide instruction on gardening and ways to use produce to low income seniors, children, families, unemployed people, adults, mothers and food pantry clients throughout GFC. Additionally, HCC will focus on distributing fresh produce to these residents.
HCC has initiated numerous nutrition related local activities and has a long history of providing nutrition education at local food pantries and farmers’ markets. This new project will complement HCC’s current strategies to improve nutrition for residents in GFC.
Goals and Objectives
HCC staff and volunteers will utilize the Hope Harvest Garden located on FCHN grounds to provide gardening instruction and to produce local fruits and vegetables for use by low income GFC residents.
Goal 1: Improve nutrition for GFC residents through increased access to local foods.
Objective 1: Increase the distribution of local foods to 22 GFC locations by October 31, 2014.
- HCC staff and volunteers will distribute Hope Harvest Garden vegetables to the 10 area food pantries.
- HCC staff and volunteers will distribute Hope Harvest Garden vegetables to the 8 low income Senior Housing sites.
- HCC staff and volunteers will distribute Hope Harvest Garden vegetables to the 4 low income summer meal sites.
Goal 2: Increase GFC residents’ knowledge about the importance of local foods and preservation techniques.
Objective 2: Increase by 300 the number of residents who receive education about container gardening and canning techniques by August 30, 2014.
- Hold two outdoor classes at the Hope Harvest Garden.
- Educate residents at the local food pantries, meal sites, and low income senior housing.
KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.
Join our mailing list:
Connect with us:
Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA