Community Orchard of West Seattle
About: Community Orchard of West Seattle (COWS) sits on 1/7 of an acre on the northeast border of South Seattle Community College. It was originally an unutilized area covered in non-native Himalayan blackberries, but over the last 3 years, our community has created a successful teaching garden based on permaculture techniques, including: 36 fruit trees, over 100 fruit /nut bushes, herbs, and medicinal plants, both perennials and winter hardy annuals.
Goals: COWS has plans to partner with likeminded organizations, continue to educate on permaculture techniques with workshops on how to grow more food in small plots, hold work parties to build community, and harvest fresh veg for food security.
- Our produce goes to local food security programs, including food banks, eat for equity, Seattle Unity Earth Care team, as well as our volunteers, and our neighbors
- We provide a forum for public agricultural education with various workshops throughout the year, welcoming neighbors, volunteers, and school groups
- We provide a venue for community building through gardening, for anyone who wishes to join
- Using permaculture and organic growing principles, COWS demonstrates several different kinds of non-standard orchard techniques and garden configurations - most of which are based on no-till, polyculture, low-maintenance sustainable food production strategies, and how much food can be grown on a city-sized lot, using these techniques. Visitors include neighbors, college students, and other passersby visiting the campus.
- Customers of our garden sales are assured of receiving organic, healthy seedlings and heirloom seeds.
- School volunteers as well as regular volunteers are able to learn by doing, as well as get fresh air and exercise, and are invited to build community.
- Neighborhood families are welcome to enjoy the beauty and bounty of the garden.
KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.
Join our mailing list:
Connect with us:
Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA