Coffey County Community Garden
This is the second year of the Coffey County Community Garden, a location where individuals with diverse socio-economic backgrounds from throughout all areas of the community can join together in producing their own food, in enjoying the benefits of healthy exercise outdoors, in sharing the beauty of well-tended gardens, and in finding the joy of interaction with others Representatives from the Coffey County Extension Office, Coffey County Economic Development Office, Coffey County of East Central Kansas Economic Opportunity Cooperation, COF Training Services, Inc., Coffey County Chamber of Commerce and Huff Nursery established a community garden on vacant property owned by COF Training Services, Inc.
Goals of the Coffey County Community Garden include:
1. Afford those in need an area to grow their own produce
2. Provide a common area for pleasant social interaction with community members, regardless of age, sex, race, ability, or disability
3. Allow an opportunity for elderly and handicapped individuals to participate in growing vegetables alongside persons from all socio-economic levels within the community. What an opportunity for improved social interaction among all members of this rural community!
4. Establish a long-term, sustainable garden plot for those participating in the community garden
5. Enhance the beauty of the community by improving on the unused land.
This garden benefited from a grant through the Kansas Community Garden Grant Program last year that provided funds for purchase of hoses, tolls, tillers, rain barrels, fertilizer, and a storage shed.
KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.
Join our mailing list:
Connect with us:
Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA