Aunt Katie's Community Garden
Aunt Katie’s Community Garden (AKCG), launched its garden revolution in a targeted low income neighborhood in southeastern Alabama in 2010. The goals of the project are to improve access to fresh affordable produce, to “Teach, Entertain and Inspire” kids and their families to learn to grow their own food, enjoy the taste of the food they grow, and to encourage physical activity. This project will be used as a platform to launch more school based gardens and encourage broader integration of gardening to support the academic and self-improvement programs of the local school system.
AKCG is a ½ acre site used for both high-density food production and as a community garden for local gardeners primarily utilizing a raised bed concept. We demonstrate that food production can be beautiful, healthy, enhance the quality of life for the neighborhood and be a great training ground for youth.
As a USDA certified People’s Garden this garden is making a big impact on the environment and in the community:
- Growing fresh fruits and vegetables for those in need
- Demonstrating sustainable practices
- Providing a beautiful place in our neighborhood to gather, learn, share and enjoy
- Partnering with the local extension system, churches and other community based organizations to offer garden tours, vacation bible school, adult classes, after school programs for children, and youth entrepreneurship.
The garden features:
- A life size mural of the garden’s namesake
- 17 4’x8’ raised beds for rent
- 12 2’x20’ raised beds for rent
- 55 3’x3’raised beds used as a teaching garden for children
- 3,150 square feet of row crops
- 15 picnic table outdoor classroom
- Honey Bee Production
- Irrigation system
- Administration building with office, classroom and kitchen in active rehabilitation.
KGI is a nonprofit community of over 30,000 people who are growing some of our own food and helping others to do the same.
Join our mailing list:
Connect with us:
Kitchen Gardeners International
3 Powderhorn Drive,
Scarborough, ME, 04074, USA